Sunday, December 30, 2012

Fajitas Night!!


Put on your Sombreros because tonight is Fajita night, one of my family's favorites. It's fun, everyone gets to make their own, put what they like onto their warm tortillas...lime...cilantro...juicy chicken... mmm my mouth is watering just thinking about it.
I just made my Guacamole (half of it already devoured), a champagne glass in my hand, table is set, I am ready to rumble!

Cooking and Champagne with pomegranate seeds. Heaven.

Here is what you'll need:

Marinade:

  • 2 limes, juiced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
  • 3 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
  • 2 sachets of fajitas seasoning (I usually make my own seasoning, but I'm lazy right now)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 pound chicken tenderloins (or skirt/flank steak), trimmed of fat cut into strips
  • 1 large onion, thinly sliced
Other Ingredients:
  • 2 red or green bell peppers, thinly sliced
  • 5 tablespoons of fresh chopped cilantro
  • 12 flour tortillas, warm
  • Guacamole (Check out my recipe)
  • Good quality store bought salsa
  • Sour cream
  • Shredded Mexican blend cheese


In a bowl, put all the meat with the marinade ingredients (onions, lime juice, cilantro, etc) and let it sit for 2-4 hours in the fridge. This will tenderize the meat and make it oh-so juicy and delicious. 


Heat up a pan medium-high with a teaspoon of olive oil. Place all your bell peppers and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the marinade and your meat into the pan and add 1 tablespoons of water, stir.



Lower the heat to a medium flame and stir occasionally, this will take about 10-15 minutes. The chicken will be fully cooked and the vegetables will be barely limp. When everything is ready, sprinkle the rest of your cilantro on top, or have it in a separate serving bowl.


mmmm cilantro
You can heat up all the tortillas and have the guacamole, sour cream, salsa, and shredded cheese on the table. 
To serve, I personally like to place the pan in the middle of the table with serving utensils so everyone can take what they want.

I know I know, we drink wine with fajitas...we're french...wine goes with everything.
Spread some guacamole on a tortilla, top with a few slices of chicken, peppers and onions, and salsa. Roll up the tortilla to enclose the filling.



Dig in! But have spare napkins, it tends to get messy.

Fajita number...3


-Chef Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment